Our mission to provide supports and advocate in every manner possible for people who have intellectual and other developmental disabilities is best fulfilled when we embrace diversity as a value and a practice throughout The Arc New York organization. The value of diversity extends beyond the people we support to their families, our employees, our leadership, our management and our governing bodies. Diversity is ever-evolving, and requires ongoing, conscious efforts. We recognize that advances need to be made. The Arc New York will make it part of its mission to take appropriate measures and actions to move positively towards achieving diversity in all that we are and do.
It is The Arc New York’s position that:
- We must foster an inclusive environment that recognizes the values, needs, and contributions of all, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, language spoken or method of communication.
- Every effort must be made to understand, value, include and incorporate cultural competence and considerations related to diversity into its supports, programs, operational structure, leadership, staff and governance.
- Individualized supports begin with and include responsiveness to differences in race, ethnicity, culture, language, religion, education, income, family configuration, geographic location, ability and other characteristics that contribute to human uniqueness.
- It is critical that procedures used to conduct assessments and provide supports are sensitive to the cultural and linguistic variations that exist in our communities.
- We respect, value and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives of all our members and recognize that multiple viewpoints enrich the entire organization.
- We are committed to extend the competence of leadership and staff with regard to differences in cultures, values, languages, and other methods of communication.
- Freedom of expression and civility of discourse are fundamental organizational values. We will safeguard the dignity, safety, and well-being of all its members, staff, the people we support and their families.